Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution implies depositing and/or sharing specific content on a web hosting server handled by a website hosting vendor. There are various varieties of hosting services used for various aims, so let's review these. Doing so, you can determine what you need, on the basis of whether you wish to run a web portal, email addresses, or to share files with mates and acquaintances.
- File hosting: a solution offered by some vendors, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived documents, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not support site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to survey a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage solutions often include advertisements by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a particular amount of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you run a paid file storage plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more fashionable "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly incongruous explanation of the literal denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would allot the load between autonomous sets of hosting servers in a cluster, which are devoted to attending different site hosting services (electronic mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a brand of a disk storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain suppliers provide a hosting service for pictures exclusively. This hosting variant is good if you desire to share a huge quantity of pictures with mates or colleagues since the solution is generally free of cost. You will obtain a random link for each and every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service devoted to tackling your mail addresses. Some companies offer web space hosting solutions for web sites, but do not supply an email solution. If you would like to create a mail address with your domain name but do not want to have a site, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can set up email box accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share video clips. You can either share a link to some video file, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a web hosting account is that the video generates a given amount of CPU load, so with a couple of video files and several hundred site visitors, you may have trouble with your web site hosting reserves. Embedding the video clip will allow you to utilize as many videos as you desire without hassling about system supplies.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you want to possess a website. To a certain extent, it incorporates all of the aforementioned hosting groups since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can set up databases and e-mail addresses, upload videos, etc. At 100WebSpace, for example, you can have a peek at web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that permit you to have all of the aforesaid solutions in one location. There may be limitations depending on the type of hosting service that you've chosen - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web space hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the common e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are intended for particular content exclusively.